It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:05 am

Why am I getting colours 1st? 
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post Why am I getting colours 1st?
Why am I getting colours 1st ?. It happens every now and then, pow in come colours, just when I go to put down for textures !.

Aargh ! what am I doing wrong here, is my mind jumping ahead too quick or what ?

Any takers ?

Regards

Rick

Thu May 12, 2005 12:42 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

You must not deviate from the current structure that you have been taught -- textures go first! If descriptors, "come before their time," simply hang on to those descriptors until the appropriate moment to list them. :wink:

Thu May 12, 2005 1:37 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

For what its worth.. I find this happens to me somewhat commonly if it's the first session I've run for the day. I stay in structure, and after a few aspects it stops happening. If I'm running another cue after a small break, it tends to occur much less.

Just a friendly note to say, "hey your not a freak, happens to me too sometimes."
hahah. Its likely just training the brain.

I think of developing RV like developing the skills for a musical instrument. When you start playing guitar for instance, your hands are in SUCH bad habits.. fingers dont have the strength.. wrist position always wants something more comfortable.. you literally feel like you look like parapelegic or something. After a few years, you grab that guitar and everything falls into place and you can strip off a soulful blues riff that turns heads, like it was nothin'. Analogically speaking, right now with RV I'm still rehearsing scales. Once in a while I can play a song (analogy: session) that someone can recognize.

...and this whole color thing for me.. is just like that initial uncomfortable feeling of not being able to correctly position your pinky on the fretboard. hah.

8)

--Angel

Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

..but wait. I read in another post where somone mentions that they do colours first after the Ideogram due to more info coming in from the Ideogram. If we train for texture first will this not align us against the advanced skill of going to colour first later? Just wondering why we follow this order of the protocol and then switch later? Can someone explain?

It is, therefor it matters.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:46 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

This was a topic of discussion at the Capstone workshop last month. What I got from the discussion was that, yes, the pros do colors first in S2. They also do much more work on stage 1 than we are taught to do. They don't just rip off an ideogram and swing right into stage 2. They may do the ideogram several times, recording descriptors and a brief analytical for each ideogram.

The point is that they have much better contact with the target when they enter stage 2 than we do with our structure. But most of us would be bored to death with the kind of work it takes to develop that stage 1 skill as a beginner, and give up before we saw any real progress. Ed has moved textures up ahead of colors to help compensate for jumping right into stage 2 after putting down the ideogram. It works pretty good, and more people stick with the training when they can see results of their own real sessions on the first day, instead of spending weeks learning to decode ideograms in stage 1 before learning stage 2.

And really, if you post your sessions in the forum regularly, if you reach the point where the biggest improvement in your work is going to come from learning that skill, one of the pros will see it and teach you. That is the biggest benefit I've gotten from posting on this forum: each critique of my work resulted in a suggestion tuned to my needs at the time.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear, as the Taoists say.

Lessons from the Petting Zoo:
Lesson 27. Puppies that spend all day yapping never really learn to hunt.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:32 am
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Um....when the student is ready, the goat will appear?

Nice explanation, by the way. I didn't know that.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:20 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Thank you, adsen. I was stretching just a bit, since I haven't been taught to do the ideogram IAB decoding. But i do try to cease my inane bleating (temporarily) when Ed is teaching and occasionally I learn something. If I stretched too far I'm sure I will be appropriately chastised.

When the dinner is ready, the goat will appear

Lessons from the Petting Zoo:
Lesson 27. Puppies that spend all day yapping never really learn to hunt.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:28 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: Why am I getting colours 1st?
Professionals have been taught to 'decode' the ideogram. If this is not performed, you must push for textures first as a rough substitute.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Ed,

May I ask you to elaborate a bit more on:
Quote:
Professionals have been taught to 'decode' the ideogram

Thanks

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:32 pm
Advanced User
Advanced User

Stefan,

There is a step named "decoding the ideogram" in previous(traditional) generation. Since it involves textural signal contact with the target, so the viewer can start with the color aspect.
It's quite difficult step for beginners. Boss had done a great job in eliminating such step by teaching us to grab the texture first in S2.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:18 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Many thanks Swong,

I read this in the CRV manual, but Ed says:

Quote:
Professionals have been taught to 'decode' the ideogram. If this is not performed, you must push for textures first as a rough substitute.

which implies the idea that the pros still use the probing of the ideogram for getting a firmer contact with the target.

If I am right, I would like to be instructed on the proper process to do the decoding by the pros here not to learn it from the CRV manual.

Thanks,
Stefan

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:20 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Honestly, there are too many pitfalls in my experience to learn it on any sort of message board. Trust me, it can screw up not only your S1 but S3 if you are not careful.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Cheers Kosmo, but I'll go in the jungle any way...

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:18 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Stefan,

Learning to decode the ideogram is not applicable in advancing RV ability and obtaining accurate results until you are extremely far along in your training. The information obtained in decoding the ideogram can be misleading if one is not already at an advanced stage of learning the RV protocol. Ed has designed the RV courses for effective streamlined results-oriented instruction. The ideogram data is not included in the online course instruction due to its insignificance in comparison to developing a consistent structure as detailed in the course materials.

Remember, the online CRV manual is based on research 20 years old. It is a fine theoretical study, however Ed's RV program is results oriented. There are FAR more interesting things ahead of you than S1 analysis. Prove your aptitude for the current program in the online forum, and focus on mastering what is at hand. Past that, the amazing intricacies of S5s, S6s, and even S7s await! You may know of these from the publicly available CRV manual... but they pale in comparison to what you'll get out of them should you have the opportunity (and aptitude) to attend an RV Capstone course, if Ed again offers one in the near future.

--Angel

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Thanks f_angel,

It should be very foolish of me if I ignore your advice. Btw, Ed has already showed me the right path…

Kosmo, my jungle trip will be temporarily suspended…for a couple of years, at least.

Thank you, guys

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xdDP1nU0j ... re=related

:wink:

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:08 am