It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 am

Using a recording of the S2 descriptor words to memorize 
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post Using a recording of the S2 descriptor words to memorize
Memorizing issues with the word list, anybody?

I have a terrible time memorizing anything textual, but, boy, give me a spec or a schematic and it sticks. I can sing the music, but can't remember who wrote it.

I have been spending way too much [unproductive] time driving between Washington and New Jersey recently, and my MP3 player is my best friend for making this dreary trip tolerable (and keeping me awake).

I recently had the notion to use the voice recorder to record the S2 Descriptor Words and listen to them repetitively during the trip. I did almost two-and-a-half hours this trip. I played the game of trying to predict which word came next.

I tried to put a "spin" on the words, especially the Sounds and Aesthetic Impact words, to give them just a bit more "personality" commensurate with their meanings.

I'm starting to elicit the words without glancing at the list. AIs are still a pain...

Have I done a bad thing? Am I risking damage to RV potential doing this?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 am
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post Re: Using a recording of the S2 descriptor words to memorize
If you did something wrong, so did i. At the risk of taking sticking my foot in my mouth (it's a disease really) and/or raising alarms i'm going to suggest that you google 'the Mozart effect' if you haven't already heard of it, and maybe incorporate it into your vocabulary list.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:15 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

If it has improved your command of the descriptors, it was probably a good thing.

As a side note, psychologists working with athletes in the 1960s and '70s discovered that hypnotic suggestion could improve performance and was more effective if delivered in the subject's own voice. It seems that everyone believes that "If I said it, why, it must be true!"

Listening to your own voice repeat the descriptors during a long drive might have similar effects to a self-hypnotic suggestion.

Lessons from the Petting Zoo:
Lesson 27. Puppies that spend all day yapping never really learn to hunt.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:32 pm
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Quote:
It seems that everyone believes that "If I said it, why, it must be true!"

I suspect that attitude will result in AOLs every time... :wink:

There's a concept called "modality preference" in psychology which has to do with how a person prefers to acquire information from their environment. This also notes secondary preferences and "layering" of learning.

Reading doesn't do it for me. When memorizing music, one hears what one plays. Visual and aural inputs seem to work better, especially when done in concert with reading. Saying the wordlist out loud when working to memorize might help.

Meanwhile, I'm making good use of those driving hours...

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 pm