It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am

Let's play "descriptor" 
Extreme User
Extreme User

Post Let's play "descriptor"
...so I'm driving around town looking at the buildings and miscellaneous features...
There's a gas station - low, open.
There's the courthouse - solid, beige.
Look down at my gloves - soft, porous, black.

As I''m getting more comfortable with descriptors as "universal constructs" I can see why we eventually need to put the printed list aside.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:23 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Excellent!! Can’t praise you enough for your approach to learning these basic constructs!

What you are doing is a great way to understand the basic constructs so that you quickly can identify them without thinking. The goal is to recognize these percepts as they come into conscience awareness without thinking about them.

The basic word list was carefully chosen. Only use this word list as a beginner. It will bootstrap the process. After you have it down at a subconscious level so that you can label the basic percepts as they are available during your S2 & S4 stages, you can add to the list with care. Words that can be added must not suggest a tangible object but intangible concepts. For example, trapezoid can be added as a dimension word, as triangle can; however, you can’t add “pyramid”. You can add onomatopoetic sounds (buzzing, hissing, etc.) but you can’t add sounds that suggest a physical connection such as “foot steps”. These would openly invite analysis and creative imagination which is forbidden.

The dedication and attention to detail that you are using in your training will pay off. You are the first to state in this forum that you are going around training yourself with the basic constructs. Ed Dames himself started out 20+ years ago in the same manner touching and identifying these constructs.

It’s also important that when you do this you include as many constructs as are actually present at the site. Try not to miss any, especially when it comes to dimension words (which include densities and motions).

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:33 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Actually, 'trapezoid' and 'pyramid' are disallowed dimension descriptors; these word define intangible or pictographic symbols, i.e., nouns.

Use the adjectives, only, because that is all that your conscious awareness has access to in Stage 2 (eg., pyramidal, trapezoidal, cubical, spherical, rectilinear, etc.)

Ed

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:04 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Thank you Ed for the correction. Even thought I said correctly that “words that can be added must not suggest a tangible object”, I then used two words that did suggest a tangible object. The distinction is extremely important as we don't want to invite either creative imagination or running analysis (resulting in AOL's).

In practice, I always use intangible ideas as I was trained by Ed and it pays off. I have a recent example of a target which I use some of the descriptor word types that Ed describes above. Last month I was given a blind test target whose key aspect was a combination of geometric shapes. Look at the dimensional descriptor words used in this case and the resulting S3 analytical sketch.

Click Here -> http://www.intuitive-design.com/learnrv/s3.html

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:10 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: Let's play "descriptor"
The link to that S3 is broken now. :(

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 pm
Profile WWW