It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:54 am

S6 Face, Improving Detail and Size 
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post S6 Face, Improving Detail and Size
So something on my mind as of late has been how to improve the size and level of detail in a S6 - Face. I'm about to set up a pool of targets to practice this specifically, but have been doing some brainstorming and would value any feedback.

First of all, the benefits to increasing the size and level of detail in a S6 - Face drawing are easy to see, since it would make it far easier to pin it on an actual person.

As many of the advanced viewers know, current S6 - Face drawings might look something like this:

These are extremely fast, dirty and most significantly, small drawings. While easy to execute in a Stage 6, I feel they really lack the detail needed to say, pick someone out of a line-up.

What I actually would like is something more along these lines (ps. these drawings were scaled down for thread from 8.5/11 inches):

The main hurdle here is that you would need to spend a much longer period of time in S6 to achieve this. This makes your drawing much less reliable as imagination starts to takes over. Hence, why drawing small and fast is optimal.

So here's my thought, what if we used additional prompts tied in with visual guidelines to increase the accuracy, size and level of detail for the S6 - Face construction? Specifically, using a quick series of placeholder dots before going through each individual feature (eyes, nose, mouth, etc).

There are some very basic tenants that can help with facial drawings.
- The eye line is around 1/2 between the top of the cranium and the chin.
- The bottom edge of the nose is around 1/2 between the eye line and the chin.
- The edge of the lower lip is near 1/2 between the edge of the nose and the chin.

The following picture illustrates these dot-guides (construction lines were added after just to make it easier to see):

The my train of thought goes like this:

1) Place a dot for the top of the skull and one below it for the chin.
2) Place a dot for the edge of each cheek 1/2 between the previous two guides. (determining the width of the face)
3) Place a dot 1/2 between the 2 cheek guides (the direct center of the head, which would help with mirroring over the first eye)
4) Place a dot halfway between the eye line and the chin (for the nose edge guide)
5) Place a dot halfway between the nose edge guide and the chin (for the lower lip edge guide).

Here's a picture visualizing the placement of the above steps (minus the dashed lines):

Typing out each step makes it seem complicated, but really, its extremely straightforward, and after some practice requires no thinking whatsoever. You could place these guideline dots just as quickly and easily as you write out the S4 columns.

Now here's a visual example of the following steps, which include additional self-prompts during the S6 to increase the level of accuracy and precision in a larger scale format.

The key difference here between the small face renditions and my idea with the use of guides, is that you can use the dots as a prompting mechanism. During the S6 you could place your pen on the guide and self-prompt, "Is the nose above or below this guideline? Are the lips above or below this guide?" Etc.

Additionally, since you have a base framework to go on, drawing larger and more detailed facial features would be a lot easier, because you wouldn't have to "think" about the placement of them.

The overall benefits of something like this could be:

1) faster S6 (overcoming the time problem)
2) higher level of accuracy (due to specific prompting in facial areas)
3) no thinking about proportions! (since quick dot-guides take care of it for you)
4) higher level of detail (due to the size of the portrait being roughly 8.5/11")

Anyways, I haven't tested this yet, but am currently setting up a blind pool of targets. Any comments would be welcome.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:56 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: S6 Face, Improving Detail and Size
Everyone of our skill level seems to acquire a specialization / area of research where we leave the rest of the known rv world behind.

You may have just found your specialization.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Innovative. Experiment.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

In the past I've used Faces 4.0, a "sketch artist" software used by some law enforcement agencies. It breaks down a face into head shape/hair/lips/eyes/etc/etc and lets you pick and modify image components from a library.

I would do a separate followon to S3 from a marked aspect in my ST. i.e "the chin of [1] SBV" and etc., putting each element into Faces until I had a workable sketch.

If you're already "hot on the trail" of a person's face in S6 that would probably make things a bit easier than what I was doing. But Faces does have a nice professional output.

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

If drawing for too long saturates a session, why not make multiple sessions by exploring multiple elements and come back the the same s6 drawing from an earlier session, and add to it?

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:40 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

That's exactly what we do. (Add and/or change)

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:08 pm
Profile WWW