It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 pm

What if nobody wins? 
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post What if nobody wins?
If I go to the lottery website and click on the "WINNING NUMBERS" link, it shows the numbers that were drawn, whether anybody played those numbers and won anything or not. What if nobody actually plays the winning numbers and nobody wins any money? Are they still the winning numbers?

It's that whole "If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it fall, does it actually make a noise?" question.

Lessons from the Petting Zoo:
Lesson 27. Puppies that spend all day yapping never really learn to hunt.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:55 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: What if nobody wins?
The winning number is the number that was drawn out of all possible other numbers, not the human that happened to bet on it. At least so I understand it. Maybe 'drawn number' would indeed be more accurate.

>>

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:20 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

I would think that the winning numbers are still the winning numbers whether or not anyone played them. The criterion for determining which numbers are the winning ones depends on the number selection results rather than whether or not those numbers were picked by anyone. A sound is made up of waves which exist whether they meet an eardrum or not. We just can't prove that the sound existed.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:22 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Chartless, your concern is a non-factor for the daily game pick 3 and pick 4 where there are thousands of winning tickets each day. As for a mega-millions jackpot (which is not suitable for the LDVD as published), you may be on to something.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

It is certainly true that there are thousands of winners every day in the Pick 3 as there are so many ways to win. It is also possible on any particular day, however unlikely, that one of the drawn digits in the published winning number did not appear on any winning lottery ticket.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:55 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

touché my four-legged friend. I do guess that the matrix would still call them winning numbers in the same manner that all the numbers that aren't winning numbers would be losing numbers.

We could certainly get to the bottom of this by setting up a lottery, maybe we could call it Chartless' One Hoof Lottery.

You sell tickets for $50 each but only pay out $1 to the winner, that way no one would play. You then only have 2 numbers on one 'ball', zero or one, chosen randomly from a spreadsheet then posted on this forum.

=RANDBETWEEN(0,1)

That way you could set up a single HARV session to determine the next winning number

Chartless' One Hoof Lottery / next winning number /...

We would then know the answer wouldn't we?

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Now you're just being silly.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

I just didn't want you to have to worry about digits. :wink:

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

I tried Arizona Lottery Pick 3/ next selected numbers/ first digit and did the same for the second and third. And wow almost a hit, I got 403 the winner was 103 I was dealing with to much noise from people talking in the house during the first target

Last edited by aceshigh117 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:49 am
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

It won't let me post my work it says the file is to big I want to show you guys my structure to get some pointers if I'm doing it wrong. My main problem is after writing a AOL I drop my pen and pick it up and still seem to have that thought. Also I'm a bit ADD so my thoughts are at a 100mph all day long the gym is the only way to calm my head or having some kind of backround noise like a constant hum like a binarial beat. Anyone else have this problem?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:01 am
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Wait just a little bit longer for the thought to dissipate before picking pen up again, focusing just on what to do next. Same for AI. Have you finished the DVD set yet? Just curious because in my opinion it is probably not a good idea to do lottery work unless the basics are down pact because it can hinder your skill development.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:31 am
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Oh yeah I've watched them twice its a amazing course. It usually takes me awhile to let a thought fade away like 10 seconds i feel thats to long. Times when I can't let it go ill start over again I usually run a session twice about a hour apart from each other.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:03 am