It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm

analytical sketch question 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post analytical sketch question
greetings rv members

im having trouble with my s3 drawings. when i do my s3 i include all my dimensional descriptors onto the drawings. how ever when i hit ST i realized that my data were way off. maybe my weak point here lies on my analytic sketch. i just cant seem to link everything together in my stage 3 and converting it into data at ST.

anybody here have any suggestions?

thanks

Wed May 02, 2007 12:44 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: analytical sketch question
RedFox wrote:
greetings rv members
anybody here have any suggestions?

Yep, stay in structure and keep practicing. One does not learn to play a sonata overnight.

Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Experienced User
Experienced User

i have taken the time to wander around here on the forum and have read many insightful posts.

i read from somewhere that your s3 has to be fast (10-15sec i believe). the movements have to come mainly from the body and you must include all the descriptors you listed.
on my previous session, it took me a long time to draw everything and i was thinking to much on where i should put everything ( s3 )
ill do more sessions and see how it goes.

Thu May 03, 2007 4:39 am
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

RedFox, the sketch you produce in your S3 of [X], [A], [B], etc, get transferred to your ST "as is." It's up to you, the RVer as to where they go on the ST.

Thu May 03, 2007 8:52 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

it took me a long time to draw everything and i was thinking to much on where i should put everything ( s3 )
ill do more sessions and see how it goes.

Eww you just said the 'T' word.

Thu May 03, 2007 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

This is important. There are two kinds of Stage 3 sketches.

The first is the S3 Freehand Sketch of the site. This is done in 10 to 15 seconds, without thinking and without referring to the Stage 2 Dimension descriptor words you just wrote. This one is done almost as if your hand had a mind of it's own and is drawing the sketch by itself. After quickly sketching the key aspects of the site in this way, let your hand move to the most important key aspect and label it [ X ], then let it move to the next most improtant aspect and label it [ A ] and so on for all the key aspects represented in the Freehand Sketch. Don't worry about how your hand will know which is the most important aspect--just let it do it's thing without interfering with it by thinking about it.

The second kind of Stage 3 sketch is the S3 Analytical Sketch of each key aspect in the S3 Freehand Sketch. Every dimension word in the S2[ X ] must be represented in the S3[ X ] Analytical Sketch. The same for other key aspects. These are sketches, not full blown drawings... don't get carried away.

When you produce your Site Template, you are copying each S3 Analytical Sketch onto the ST without changing anything except maybe the scale of each drawing. Watch out for similar things in sketches of different aspects. A circle in S3[ X ] and a circle in S3[A], for example, might be just one circle in the ST --or it might be two circles in the ST. Only you will know if one thing appears in two different Analytical Sketches or if two seperate things are represented with the same symbol in different sketches.

And then as RVRobot says: "Keep practicing". Post some of your sessions so you can get help from some of the pros. You might find out that you are worrying about a small thing and overlooking an opportunity for a big improvement.

I hope this helped.

Lessons from the Petting Zoo:
Lesson 27. Puppies that spend all day yapping never really learn to hunt.

Thu May 03, 2007 4:11 pm
Experienced User
Experienced User

sry if i confuse anybody here. about my drawings i meant my s3 analytical sketch not my freehand.

thanks for all the advice my fellow rv members. i will try my best on my next session.

Fri May 04, 2007 2:43 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: analytical sketch question
RedFox wrote:
im having trouble with my s3 drawings. when i do my s3 i include all my dimensional descriptors onto the drawings.

When converting your Stage 3 [of an aspect] dimensional percepts to line drawing; do it in the following manner: (note: dimensional percepts also includes motions and densities)

- put your pen on a NEW blank page and label the top of the page S3[aspect] and number the page.
- now with the blank page in front of you and the S3[aspect] dimensional data on the prior page sitting beside you on the table
- For Each dimensional percept ask yourself the question "WHERE IS xxxxxxx" and draw it on the blank page where you FEEL it belongs.

ONLY draw each percept that can be drawn (ie., circle, diagonal, wavey, angular, etc.)

When a percept can't be drawn (ie, dense, wide, hollow, tall, flat, inside, outside, vast, etc.) then FEEL around the blank S3[aspect] page and write the percept where you feel it belongs

When a percept involves a motion (moving, fast, slow, spirrling, etc.) then you need to draw that motion where you FEEL it belongs AND make sure you don't forget to put an ARROW at the end of the motion line.

===========================

Following the above approach will create better Analytical Sketches and result in better Site Templates. The Analytical Sketches are critical to the process (as well as the prior dimensional percepts) so do them carefully and with determination - do not rush them - but keep your mind out of the way. Only FEEL where the percepts belong.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:25 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

When a percept can't be drawn (ie, dense, wide, hollow, tall, flat, inside, outside, vast, etc.) then FEEL around the blank S3[aspect] page and write the percept where you feel it belongs

Do you mean write with words Proviewer? Because I thought that was not allowed.

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:20 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

That is exactly what I am saying. Write the words on your S3[aspect] Analytical Sketches that can't be rendered in line form.

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:44 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

It was my understanding from the workshops that you only needed a blank sheet of paper for S3[Site] - Freehand sketch, not one for S3[X], S3[A], S3[B] etc.

Aspect example:

Is this wrong or not the case in general???

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:45 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Ideally, you of course you will be using all blank paper. It's better to have the Free Hand sketch, as well as each Analytical Sketches, and also the Site Template on their own separate pages, however it is not absolutely necessary. It's better since your eyes would then not be visually distracted by the other marks and words on the page you're trying to render archetypes and drawings, and sketches.

With regard to the above example you just posted .. it's excellent. Your S3 Analytical Sketch is exactly like it should be; writing dimensional percepts where they can't be drawn.

The only minor thing I do differently (which I suppose is only personal preference) is to not write the S2 percept categories of Textures, Colors ... etc. When you actually force yourself to write the category names, you're invoking your analytical mind in a very minor way. I truely don't know if it would make any real difference regarding the final outcome of the data, but I like to eliminate every interaction with the analytical mind that's possible because we don't want it to get involved until it's actually time to analyze the date. For the most part, pros won't write any of the percept categories for the same reason.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:32 am