It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:44 am

S3 Analytical: Kinesthetics question 
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post S3 Analytical: Kinesthetics question
When performing S3 Freehand sketches we are instructed to simply let our hands make the archetypes. This works quite well, and I am successful with creating accurate archetypes very quickly (typically done this stage in 5 seconds). My body just does it.

I've tried two approaches for my S3 Analytical sketches. Let me briefly outline them:

A. Before sketching anything, I would look back at my S2 dimension descriptors and scan up and down the list until I had a sense of how the things fit together (or enough to get started on the sketch. This is sort of a cognitive-first approach.

B. Before looking at my S2 dimension descriptors I would just sketch what I feel is required for my S3 analytical sketch, then look back at my S2 dimension descriptors, write in any words that I can not 'draw' then check if I've missed anything and add it to the sketch. This is sort of a kinesthetics-first approach.

Which is the correct approach to S3-Analytical?

PS Ed, I've reduced my time in S2 as you've suggested and it has really helped me maintain better target contact into the session, thanks!

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

RVRobot, neither A or B. "Looking back" is 'thinking," a big No-No when you are going through the different stages. You had it right in your first statement:
Quote:
When performing S3 Freehand sketches we are instructed to simply let our hands make the archetypes. This works quite well, and I am successful with creating accurate archetypes very quickly (typically done this stage in 5 seconds). My body just does it.

Look back when you're putting together your ST.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:38 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Right, my first statement is for S3 Freehand... I have no problem there. I'm concerned about the proper structure for S3 Analytical sketch.

Also, we have to account for all the S2 dimension descriptors, so we have to look back at that to some degree.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

I like this question RVRobot. For me personally, i got tired with struggling with this... it is wrong probably, but it's the only solution I've found for me. It's similar to your B.

I just look at all the dimensions scan through them and then pick out the first word ( e.g circular ) say it, and lightly start to sketch across the page however my hand wants. And as I'm sketching I try to sense for where other angles etc should go. Like I might start sensing a boxy dimension

So I'll start sketching boxy according to how sense that it fits. When my hand stops I'll look over at my s2 to get the second dimension and repeat. Sometimes though, as I go through each individual word, I'll find out that the next word( e.g boxy) is already one that I sensed and drew before, but I still retrace it anyway to get the flow going As long as I get all of my dimensions that's all I care about. Once I get an idea of how things are going to fit, then l make sure I sketch darker so the lines are more visible to see. At the end I ask what else is here and whatever impression I get I add it in there too ( if any )

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Curious if a pro has any insight on this...

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Gotcha now, I had to go back and re-read what you were saying again, Robot. As quickly as I can, I go back and look at the dimension words and try to figure out how to fit them all together. It's easy, for instance, if you just have a rectangle but if you have say, arcs or curves in your S2, it takes a moment to figuring out just how to sketch it. It's trick at times. "A" would be the way to approach it.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:59 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

The order in which you receive dimensions is unconscious' attempt to communicate importance. Don't mess it up because it is the most elegant problem solver.

Do it as how its done in the DVDs i.e. from first percept to last, then scan the area to see if you have any archetypes to add.

Best regards

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

If you have accidentally messed up unconscious programming (because now i would assume my best friend, Mr unconscious would be unhappy and confused by my attempts to change the grammar and syntax of communicating with it and so it adapts and creates a new syntax and grammar which is terrible i.e. your method) by attempting to feel around, its best to recalibrate by doing blind targets and reinforcing the good habit learned in the DVDs.

Thats my opinion btw but I will ask a Pro and get back to you on it.

Regards

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:09 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

The S2 dimension word-ideas may be rendered in any order -- there is no 'priority', nor could there be if one thinks about it.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:34 pm
Profile WWW