It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:53 am

My S3 training instruction.. 
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post My S3 training instruction..
Ed says:
Quote:
You could not effectively capture more than three key site aspects in 5 seconds. What if six or seven attempt to present?

A minimum of 10 seconds for the S3 freehand, not including labelling.

This is true and I thought I might share some tips that I got in training.

When I was learning the DVDs I was under the wrong impression that you had to draw your S3 [site]archetypes at lightning fast speed. I was told to slow down when I was being observed/trained, that when I touched pen to paper to draw an archetype to not go at 'ideogram speed'.. to slow down a little and feel what you are drawing, and draw it maybe over 1 to 4 seconds. Just keep in mind that you are drawing an archetype and keep it as that, and it will get better/easier/more accurate over time/practice.

When you place your labels, feel where they go in relation to their represented archetypes. It can go on the line or near a point on the line/archetype. If it's a circle, I usually place my label inside the circle.

About S3 key aspect analytical sketches:

When drawing an S3 analytical sketch of a key aspect, keep your previous page with your S2 dimensions right next to your page, and refer back to those dimensions and try to put/imagine yourself in the site and feel around (maybe even actually "feel" with the fingers of your free hand) and perceive how those dimensions are present, and let your pen hand act as if it has a brain of its own, and let it feel and draw those dimensions. Don't feel pressured to rush in any S3.. try to stay relaxed.

It was suggested to me, and I think it really helps, to always have your S3[site] freehand sketch somewhere out, face up, near/in your peripheral vision. It re-enforces conscious/unconscious agreement about what you are trying to achieve in structure/purpose here. You don't have to look at it, just glance every now and then if you feel urged, but I never look straight at mine.

If you feel you maybe spending too much time in an S3, have someone time you/observe you or video yourself and critique afterwards.
I hope this helps.

-Tiger74

Last edited by Tiger74 on Fri May 03, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 09, 2012 12:12 am
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Re: My S3 training instruction..
Thanks, are very interesting advises. The training with the Major had to be great.

Wed May 09, 2012 3:56 am
Profile YIM
Advanced User
Advanced User

Thanks! This is very useful :-)

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:50 pm
Advanced User
Advanced User

Tiger74
"Just keep in mind that you are drawing an archetype and keep it as that, and it will get better/easier/more accurate over time/practice."

I just don't get the S3 archetype thing. All my S3's look pretty much the same. I am trying to let my hand do the thinking but they look nothing like archetypes, just chicken scratches. My labeling, colors, dimensions, etc. on the other hand aren't too bad when compared to the feedback photo and I am satisfied with my sessions in that regard. How do I improve my S3 drawing to look like archetypes without deliberate thinking, which as I understand it, is not allowed at this stage of the session?
Also, my ideograms look somewhat all the same and do not look like manmade, lifeform, etc. although I have practiced making many pages of the standard TRV ideograms.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:37 am
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Would this slow speed of sketching help with s3 of an aspect?

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Quote:
I just don't get the S3 archetype thing.

richardg, S3 sketches are the S2 dimensions sketched in line form = basic archetypical shapes. There isn't any thinking involved here.

Quote:
my ideograms look somewhat all the same and do not look like manmade, lifeform, etc.

Exact looking ideograms are an issue. Post a session so we can see an example...

It doesn't matter what your ideograms look like at this point, and if you recognize something in them, you have to AOL it. ie. A peak as the ideogram has to have an AOL of mountain before you can progress further into the session. If you don't do this, you can't trust the results.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Thank you rvtd for your suggestions.

I'll get some of my previous sessions to post.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:07 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Keep in mind the first part of my post was strictly regarding the stage 3 freehand sketch. The second part was about stage 3 analytical sketches.

Richard, if your target feedback (photo or real world) confirms your data is correct then don't concern yourself too much right now with whether or not your S3[site] archetypes look like you think they should. A tower could present itself, in stage 3 freehand, as either a right angle or a vertical line. Some things have more than one archetypical representation. Keep practicing and reviewing the DVD section on S3 freehand and your archetypes will get more accurate and 'standard' over time. And sometimes you will produce archetypes that do not even appear on the DVD examples. Just run with it, see what comes out of your session, and get your feedback. The process will error correct itself. Don't think (worry, analyze, ponder, compare, etc) in session, just do it. And yes, post your work and you will receive guidance.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 am