It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

An incomplete list of brokerage houses to consider 
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post An incomplete list of brokerage houses to consider
What I would like to do is put together a list of futures trading brokerages and provide a little information about each so as to enable better decision making, To be considered, the borkerages must support electronic trading. Info should include the trading platform (whether you pay extra for that or not) the account minimums and cost per trade.

Remember if they don't allow you to trade Futures electronically. It won't be included.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

There are hundreds of brokers that trade futures. There are also dozens of trading programs - any one of which you would use. And only a handful a data streams available for real-time intraday use; which all cost about the same.

I'm not sure compiling a list of brokers would be a worthwhile use of time singe using the system taught us would work with any broker, data stream, and analytical software as long as it's real-time. It works so well, that you don't' have to split hairs and consider little things like commission differences between brokers

I personally use e-signal, CQG and metastock for data acquisition and technical analysis. Any broker would do as long as they can provide online order processing and also phone backup support if your fill doesn't occur within 30 seconds. I use man futures in Chicago to process my orders.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:54 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Your right that I should let other people figure it out for themselves since it is more likely to discourage some who otherwise shouldn't be trading, but I don't want all this research to go to waste on just my own grey matter.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:02 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Commission rates are based on a trading volume of about 150 contracts per month and assumes you are a self-directed FUTURES TRADER ONLY! Not concerned with equities or options here. (Good luck cueing options directly) Commissions are for the Eminis like S&P 500, Nasdaq 100, Mini Dow, and Russell 2000.

E*trade

Image - account minimum, $10,000
ImageImageImage - commissions - 99 cents per order per side for the first 90 days!
Image - Integrated trading with eSignal - No
Image - Free Simulation Account - Yes 14 days with TT-Trader
Image - free trading platform - (TT-Trader)
ImageImage - trading platorm ease of use - bad (TT Trader)

Delightful Commentary - TT Trader is the worst platform I have ever been exposed to. You get what seems like 40 little windows (about 6) popping up when you login and none of them are charts! You have to open a second program called X-Study to get any technical indicators working. If you like looking at numbers instead of graphs this is for you.

Lind-Waldock
Image - account minimum, $5,000
Image - commissions - $7 per round all inclusive ($3.50 per side per contract)
Image - Integrated trading with eSignal - Yes
Image - Free Simulation Account - Yes 14 days with LindXpress
Image - free trading platform - Lind Xpress

Delightful commentary - I am not a huge fan of Lind Xpress since I can't seem to be able to sign up for a copy of it after they upgraded their website. Customer service was very unresponsive at my attempts to get a simulation account set up.

Man Financial Global
Image - account minimum, $10,000 (but I was able to sweet talk a rep into a 5k start)
Image Image - commissions - $4 per round all inclusive ($2 per side per contract)
Image - Free Simulation Account - Yes 14 days with ManExpress or platform based off of J-trader
Image - free trading platform - ManExpress (Refco)

Delightful commentary - Meh, ManExpress is definitely better than TT_Trader because graphical overlay of indicators on charts is available but you are limited to one indicator on a graph, and it is annoying that if you resize the window the chart auto resets to something unusable. Perhaps that can be fixed in options. I am considering giving their alternate platform based off of J-trader a shot though. Very active customer service.

JR Futures
ImageImageImage - account minimum, $500!!!!
ImageImage - commissions - $4.10 per round all inclusive ($2.05 per side per contract)
ImageImage - Free Simulation Account - Yes 30 days with Best Protrader, or Best Navigator! They even allow a web-based trader
Image - free trading platform - Yes, either of the above

Delightful commentary - This seems to be the best place to practice your trading chops and actually trade the minis since the account minimums are so low. At $500 you can day trade a single contract of the four main assets, NAsdaq 100, S&P 500 mini, Dow mini, and Russell 2000 mini. For me another plus was the President checked in via email to see how I liked the sim account.

United Futures

Optimus Futures

Express Futures

Access Trading

Interactive Brokers

Last edited by kocmodpom on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Here is a great comparison of discount brokerages for Canadian investors:

http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/rev ... erages.htm

(might have some relevance for the Yanks too)

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Thats cool, but TD Waterhouse doesn't trade futures, only stocks. They do hope to add that by spring though..

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

The best service for those planning to trade options on equities: ThinkOrSwim

http://www.thinkorswim.com NasdaqGM:SWIM

The complete rates are here:
https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/myAccou ... yRates.tos

As little as $.95 per option contract... and if you do enough trades they'll pay for your broadband...

Equities, options, FOREX, Futures. US or Canada.

The have a trading console that's like being at the wheel of a sportcar (and almost as dangerous), a web-enabled phone application (for those of you who like to trade on the beach), the best charting tool on the planet, and training in the whole trading thing (now that you've got the forecasting thing down...), discussion forums, live presentations and newsfeeds, more, more, more...

I'm just a satisfied customer... LearnRV and ThinkOrSwim...

OH, YEAH... I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING:

The ThinkOrSwim platform supports VIRTUAL TRADING. So if you want to try the mechanics of the trading process without the stress of trading REAL MONEY, then trade VIRTUAL MONEY on a real trading console.

https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/display ... paperMoney

You have to register with the site and download the console, but you don't actually need to open an account to make use of the Paper Money feature (although I think that there is a time limit on the demo...)

Speaking part DVD4 00:17:49

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:08 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Freshly updated list with info from JR Futures and MF Global

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post Re: An incomplete list of brokerage houses to consider
I've recently gotten a recommendation on a futures-specific trading platform from a reliable source. They have a simulated platform and a freebie-try-me-out service good for 30 days as well.

http://www.infinityfutures.com/

http://www.infinityfutures.com/IATdemos ... x?ref=jhit

I am not affiliated with this Infinity Futures, just forwarding a recommendation which I'd explore further except that I just don't have cycles for futures at this time...

Speaking part DVD4 00:17:49

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:38 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post A more complete list of brokerage houses to consider
December 2008 issue of Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities

Traders Resource page 85-89. Almost every reputable broker in existence listed with contact information from A to Zed.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Entertaining is this thread with a review of MF Global before a certain Corzine took over and bankrupted the place.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

The glowing review of MF'ing Global is quite entertaining. The irony is, they were recommended to me a number of months prior to the plundering. I'm glad I didn't act on that advice.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

I found the ultimate resource for choosing a broker.

http://technical.traders.com/Products/catsearch.asp?cat=30

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Great info on trading houses, for what it's worth when I traded options and futures, and options on futures and stocks I used trading strategies like straddles, strangles, collars etc. The brokerage house was Smith Goodrum investments. I don't know where they compare with the ones you found however their service was excellent and their manor friendly. I'll date myself though, that was before internet trading was available.

All the Best
Jazz

Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Ouch, PFG bites the dust. ZeroHedge posted the Atlas Ratings and look who is at the bottom right next to PFG? None other than FXCM.

Quote:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/first-mfglobal-now-pfg-who-next

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 pm
Profile WWW