It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Least Optimal Investment? 
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Least Optimal Investment?
We know from the Learn RV DVDs of the famous cue:

name / optimum short-term investment

I have also surmised that investment inherently implies a long position by definition. My question is it might be very interesting to find the asset that will lose the most money for a period of time. Could this be accomplished by using the word "least" or would I have to use other words that are better left to a PM to protect the content of the FM DVD? E.G.

name / least optimum short-term investment

Sun May 11, 2008 1:16 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Are you planning to short selling these investments? If so, perhaps it is not the 'least optimal'. If this is your plan, perhaps the cue should be something more like:

Name / Optimal NASDAQ short selling investment

(However, might want to defer to a pro. This cue may very well me an 'abortion' as Ed calls it.)

Mon May 12, 2008 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

I see your point about least optimal not yielding a short. because "investment" is inherehntly a positive tracer, I think "short-selling" combined with "investment" maybe non-sensical or at least contridictory which is why I tried to find a way around using that specific language. I did think about that for quite awhile though and my reasoning could also be an "abotion" as well. I guess any of them could be tested (if you have a blind pool and a year to wait for a result.) Killshot is keeping me from self-testing it. Maybe it will come to me in a dream. I am glad to see that you are interested in solving this problem too!

Good thing the matrix recognizes investment as money in vs money out, or my marriage could have popped out of "least optimal investment"

Thu May 15, 2008 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Re: Least Optimal Investment?
kocmodpom wrote:
We know from the Learn RV DVDs of the famous cue:

name / optimal short-term investment

It has recently occurred to me that "optimal investment" might not always mean a positive financial return.

For example: You want to make an investment and use the profits to buy a used car. After RVing, identifying and investing in your "optimal investment" the investment goes permanently south. Now, in order to buy the car you are forced go down to your local bank and take out a small loan. You are very unhappy about loosing your money in your investment...... then you meet the bank's loan officer. She turns out to be the girl of your dreams, the best thing to ever happen in your life.... you get married and live happily ever after.

So a more specific cue would be:

name / optimal short-term financial investment for maximum financial profit

But the better cue in regards to your optimal life is probably the one you stated above kocmodpom....

Wow, all the philosophical questions one must ask themselves when formulating a cue. Who would have thought.

kocmodpom wrote:
I have also surmised that investment inherently implies a long position by definition. My question is it might be very interesting to find the asset that will lose the most money for a period of time. Could this be accomplished by using the word "least" or would I have to use other words that are better left to a PM to protect the content of the FM DVD? E.G.

name / least optimal short-term investment

Assuming you are wrong about the term "investment" then this cue might work:

name / optimal short-term financial investment taking SHORT position for maximum financial profit

Assuming your are right about the term "investment" then this might work:

name / optimal short-term security to take SHORT position in for maximum financial profit

If you just used the cue: name / least optimal short-term investment
Based on the reasoning I layed out above then you would get just that.... "your least optimal". Could go up, down or sideways.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:51 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

No, "investment" by the matrix, means buying an asset now with the expectation of selling it for more money later. inherently,it implies buying an asset for a positive gain. Short selling is NOT an investment.

How do you know if the matrix will recognize "security" as an asset-class instead of the traditional meaning? I wouldn't trust that cue without 6 topical searches running on "security"

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

kocmodpom wrote:
No, "investment" by the matrix, means buying an asset now with the expectation of selling it for more money later. inherently,it implies buying an asset for a positive gain. Short selling is NOT an investment.

Have you already done a topical search on "investment"? Or, do you know someone who has? My gut says you are probablly right about that term.

kocmodpom wrote:
How do you know if the matrix will recognize "security" as an asset-class instead of the traditional meaning? I wouldn't trust that cue without 6 topical searches running on "security"

You know "asset" might be a better term to try first. "Asset" seems a less ambiguous term than "security". I have done a topical search on neither.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:49 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Didn't have to run "investment," it was knowledged passed to me by the good Major himself at the capstone conference in 2004 in sin city.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:19 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

I am going to give this one a bump. I haven't thought about it in quite a long time but the mystery is still there.

I know how to find the best currency to invest in, but what would make that investment even better would be to find the worst performing currency to pair it with.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Have you tried 'pessimum'?

Pessimum trajectory
Pessimum investment
Pessimum currency

I have zero FM experience.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:47 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

In retrospect if working with currencies, you may want the best and 2nd best currencies, if one is a long and the other is the short. That was the reasoning behind the query to begin with. Think how much you could kill on FX if you knew the best performing long and best performing short simultaneously...

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Since profit in the market, FOREX particularly, can only be made with volatility, would it not be best to trade FOREX with the two most volatile currencies?
However, I still realize that Proviewer suggested two particular currencies as his favorites and I don't know if those are the two most volatile.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:40 am