It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 am

The Great Red Gator Futures Trading Adventure 
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post The Great Red Gator Futures Trading Adventure
As we are all settled down and ready roll again, I am going to re-start this exercise with a new topic title.

This is the E-mini S&P 500 Index Futures we are watching, currently contracts in the month of June, 2009 (@ESM09).

Darling wife and I will run our targets, compare notes, and make a prediction. If we can't decide, we run a second target. If we still can't decide, we stay out of the pool.

Results so far (predictions and papertrades):

Date / Prediction-Cue / Result / (HIT|MISS)
--
Mon 23 Feb 2008 / SHORT-Stochastics / SHORT 50 vs 12 LONG / HIT
SHORT +$1125
Tue 24 Feb 2008 / no prediction
no trades
Wed 25 Feb 2008 / SHORT-Stochastics / SHORT 37 vs 34 LONG / HIT
SHORT +$450
Thu 26 Feb 2008 / no prediction
SHORT +$837
Fri 27 Feb 2008 / no prediction
SHORT +$725
---
Mon 2 Mar 2008 / SHORT-PSAR / SHORT 23 vs 12 LONG / HIT
no trades
Tue 3 Mar 2008 / LONG-PSAR / SORT 37 vs 9 LONG / MISS
"Foggy" session, same photo pair came up
LONG -$162
Wed 4 Mar 2008 / no prediction / LONG 30 vs 18 SHORT
LONG +$150
Thu 5 Mar 2008 / LONG-PSAR / SHORT 3 vs -22 LONG / MISS
LONG -$500
Fri 6 Mar 2008 / no prediction / SHORT
LONG -$275
---
9 Mar through 12 Mar - no prediction
Various -$2175
---

So for RV sessions I'm at 3:5 60%, and still up $100 (yeah, I shoulda stayed out last week... at least it's not real money...)

--

Darling wife and I got very inconclusive sessions; we ran the cue twice and had no stong correlation. LONG looks to be the best bet, so the markets may be up on the day, but based upon our rules it would be a STAY OUT OF THE WATER day for Monday, 16 March 2008.

Given the recent secular bear rally, a flatish-to-up day is just about right.

And if you are not trading the markets, remember to celebrate Saint Urho's Day, 16 March! http://www.sainturho.com/

Speaking part DVD4 00:17:49

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:36 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: The Great Red Gator Futures Trading Adventure
Too bad you weren't playing on Tuesday....

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

31 views this evening.

LONG day today: LONG 12 vs 7 SHORT.

A shame we did not declare a direction (really). Can we get a half a point?

Legend:
green LONG gain
blue LONG loss
red SHORT gain
purple SHORT loss
orange my time-bombed SHORT trade from 0830 until it stopped out

I think that I've found a better way of using the PSAR for entry and exit signals. The DVD talks about using stops to "preserve profits". In this case, the PSAR provides signals for managing your stop-loss as a profitable exit. Today turned out to be a good example. Here's how it goes:

1) Enter into a new trade on the stop-and-reverse; set the stop loss to the PSAR value.
2) At the next stop-and-reverse, re-set the stop loss to one half the distance between the two PSAR reversal values.
3) At the next stop-and-reverse (same as the original direction), set the stop loss to the PSAR value

And so it goes until you stop out.

I've been back-testing this approach, and it looks to work well. Seems to keep you out of trouble.

I've annotated LONG and SHORT trades as well as stop-loss values (LONG red dotted line SHORT green dotted line).

This method would have earned you money on either the LONG or SHORT today (but more on the LONG; can we have that half-point?)

Or maybe I should just be happy that I took the one LONG trade using my time-bomb approach (as I was not in front of a computer at 0830 this morning, but having my Red Gator teeth cleaned) and made $237 (coincided with the second successful LONG trade on the analysis).

---

SO, Darling Wife and I ran a couple of sessions tonight. The first one was inconclusive, but the second one gives us cause: we are calling Tuesday, 17 March 2009, as LONG.

<<20140525 - trying to get images back>>

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sun May 25, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

51 views this evening.

A good day to be in the futures market if you were going LONG. But we knew that: HIT!

The result was LONG 30 vs -6 SHORT... a very good day; a $1500 per contract day if you were paying attention. That's a 24% return on margin for one day.

Meanwhile, the new stop-loss management approach to entries and exits seems to be working its magic; the winners are running!

If you weren't paying attention you might have made exactly $50 (like I did). I missed three entry points because, stupid me, I was trying to get some (actual paying) work done.

SO, we are now 4:6 or 66% on our predictions and up $1113 trading on those days and up $387 overall.

If I can get Darling Wife to get into a session this evening, we will be posting a new prediction for tomorrow. Say tuned!

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

59 views this evening.

Darling Wife and I have run our sessions.

Our prediction for Wednesday, 18 March 2009, is LONG.

Darling Wife (also a Gator, by the way), got a "wow" on this one:

Photo associated with LONG:

US Pavilion, Brussels World's Fair, April 1958 (from the Life Photo Collection on Google.com) (under construction).

Darling Wife's S3[X]:

She said "this is HUGE; you could STAND on it".

Yeah, she's out of practice and back to using the templates, but she is getting "wow"s. But I think I will have an easier time of getting her to do her session tomorrow...

With that "wow" staring us in the face, this one had BETTER work...

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:44 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

73 views this afternoon.

Called it LONG, and it was a GOOD day to be LONG. That, I believe, is a HIT.

I read LONG 14 vs 4 SHORT. That's trying to stick with the PSAR stop-move rules.

Meanwhile, I took my profits and got a total LONG 19 (two small losing trades... got in early early in the morning and played it badly... rookie mistake... but I said I was not a day-trader...)

And on the adventure thats 5:7 for 71% and up $1963 or $1237 overall.

Of course, any monkey can call the direction in a rally, even a short-term secular bear rally. When we successfully call and trade the short-term top, then I'll be impressed...

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:55 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

81 views this evening.

Darling Wife and I have run our sessions and we are declaring Thursday, 19 March 2009 as SHORT!

Conventional technical analysis would seem to agree. Given the recent secular bear rally, returning to the primary trend sometime soon is expected. The 800 level is the November low and the January low before the February crash, and the SPX is currently pressed up against the bottom of that level.

If today signaled a top, then tomorrow should trade in the range of 775-753. Otherwise, if 775 holds this rally could have "legs". And we'd be wrong.

Also, a financial program we listen to http://www.financialsense.com either last week or this week forecast 19 March as being "the day" when the Elliott Wave analysis shows the next leg of the current downtrend.

So, will the market make the RV'ers and the pundits look foolish? Tomorrow will tell.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:36 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

And Thursday was a good day to be SHORT! HIT!

I read SHORT 15 and 0 LONG.

A mixed day, but SHORT trades were working better than long trades. Especially if you stayed within your trading rules... which I didn't... (BAD trader BAD trader)... should have been a better day; only got $1000 out of it on two contracts... 8% in one day...

One thing: I trade with a LIMIT/OCO: that is LIMIT the price I get in at, One order (stop) Cancels Other (limit), where I put in the order at a LIMIT price, place the STOP price, and also put in a prospective TARGET/LIMIT price for when I can't pay attention. So my trade today (orange block) was SELL LIMIT 793 OCO BUY STOP 800 BUY LIMIT 780. Today, I hit my TARGET/LIMIT price. But I made the mistake of trying to get back in (against the lack of entry signals).

SO the adventure stands at 6:8 for 75% and up $2963 or $2237 overall.

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

103 views this evening.

Darling Wife and I have run our sessions and concur: we are calling for Friday, 20 March 2009, as SHORT.

March options expiration and the first day of spring and that notion in the technicals that the recent rally has run its course.

I'm good for it.

Good trading.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

138 views this evening.

IT WAS A DARNED GOOD DAY TO BE SHORT ON THE MARKET! HIT!

I read SHORT 19 vs 5 LONG.

Darned good day! I did four trades for a total of about 19 or $775 on the day (orange and brown). This was probably my best disciplined day (as I had chunks of time to check things today). Kept after those stop losses: with sharp moves you have to use your judgement about keeping profits or letting it ride. See the green dotted lines on the chart to see stop-loss movement over the day on SHORT moves.

So The Adventure ends the week with 7:9 78% up $3738 or $3012 overall.

I gotta get my accounting straight this weekend. Is that really $2600 in a week? My goal with this trading thing is to get to the point where I cannot afford to keep working...

And just to not get a swelled head about it; it may not be the RV... perhaps I just found my niche, and I am a day-trader after all. I have been studying this stuff off-and-on for four years. What could I do if I focused on this?

But I mean, look at the charts: you can't play LONG and SHORT at the same time! There's too much overlap. You would lose half of your moves trying to do it, or miss letting your winners run.

Because 78% is NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT. Although buying drinks for the skeptics could help... a shame it's papertrading...

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:32 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

78% is not the problem. It is merely the sample set. A fast rule of thumb is a minimum of 20 samples to have statistical significance. At that point, even 65% is significant, disappointing but significant. Further from the median of 50% is all the more significant. You are clearly demonstrating what well trained viewers in the Learn RV system are capable of doing.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:59 am
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

165 views.

OK, I've got my accounting right this morning.

Started The Adventure on 23 February 2009.

With RV predictions:
Days: 10
Trades: 27
Total Gain/Loss: +$4262.50
Gain/Loss per trade: +$157.87 +2.5%
Gain/Loss per trading day with RV: +$426.25 +6.8%
Success rate per trade: 48% (!!)
Gain per winning trade: $483.65
Loss per losing trade: -$144.65

Assuming 250 trading days: +1700% annually
(That would be 17X your margin, which starts at $6188 or $105,196.)

Without RV predictions:
Days: 8
Trades: 25
Total Gain/Loss: -$837.50
Gain/Loss per trade: -$33.50 -0.5%
Gain/Loss per trading day with RV: -$104.69 -1.7%
Success rate per trade: 32%
Gain per winning trade: $357
Loss per losing trade: -$217

Yeah, the RV sessions were more profitable (were profitable), but probably just as important or more important to sustained trading is that the losses were kept small relative to the winners. I'm only doing 48% successful trades here! If you kill off your losers early and let your winners run, you can catch 5-baggers like Friday's move.

Now I call your attention to a posting from a long time ago made by ProViewer regarding the potential of a guaranteed trading system:

Subject: RV Students NAIL Financial Markets Prediction!! - ProViewer Posting

And my retort to that simple model:

Subject: RV Students NAIL Financial Markets Prediction!! redgatortrv Posting

I officially withdraw my comments. If we can sustain this performance starting with a $12400 margin ($6200 margin plus margin for inter-day losses) and increase the numbers of contracts traded as that total exceeds another margin limit (balance of $12400 ::= trade 2 contracts, etc) then in 6 months we actually get to the point where we have to limit the number of contracts! (The S&P E-Mini trades about 25,000 contracts in a 5-minute period, so one does not want to exceed about 1% of that or 250 contacts at a time.)

At this performance level, starting January 1 with $12400, paying your taxes and taking 5% out for income:

* March 15 you stop working as you are covering your salary
* July 1 you are taking your maximum $500,000 per week on 250 contracts traded at a time with $1.5 million in the bank and $500,000 in taxes paid.
* December 31 you have $11 millon in the bank (assuming you bank money) and $4.5 million in taxes paid.

Let's assume 1/3 this performance rate:

* September 15 you stop working as you are covering your salary
* December 31 you are trading 20 contracts at a time taking $15,000 per week, $68,000 in the bank, and $60,000 in taxes paid.

I think that I know what happened to the professionals who used to regularly post on this forum. Give me nine months and I willl be there also!

When was The Killshot again?

---

A tiny fly in the ointment; my $12,500 needs to be about $31,200:

Effective September 28th, 2001 the NYSE and FINRA imposed a $25,000 minimum equity requirement for "pattern day traders." Consistent with the new margin rules, if a thinkorswim customer's margin account falls under $25,000 and the customer has opened and closed positions on the same day four times within five days, the customer will not be allowed to open new positions until the $25,000 requirement is restored or the five days have elapsed.

Additionally, for a designated a "pattern day trader" account, the customer is allowed on any day to open new positions up to a total of the account's Day Trading Buying Power (defined as four times the difference of your account equity less maintenance margin requirements). The rule requires orders exceeding Day Trading Buying Power to be rejected.

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:31 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Then again...

I went back and studied what would have happened had one effectively traded the exact WRONG way each day vs the RV results I traded:

2/23 - LONG 12
2/25 - LONG 34
3/2 - LONG 12
3/3 - LONG 9
3/5 - LONG -22
3/17 - SHORT -6
3/18 - SHORT 4
3/19 - LONG 0
3/20 - LONG 5
--------------
48 ::= $2400

So even with failure using effective trading techniques your expectancy is about $260 a day. That falls somewhere in the middle of my analysis, and is still a pretty good return. Can't do this with RV alone; you've got to trade the market as well.

---

Darling Wife and I were chatting about this whole exercise. I've never considered day-trading before. However, after having gone through this exercise so far, with an effective technical indicator (PSAR) and paying attention I think that my trading mechanics are much better than they were before I started this exercise. Even if I don't day-trade, my daily trading has got to be improved by this.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

It is way too early to start fantastical projections on RV potential. You have been in an extremely fortunate period of market timing thus far. Wait until 20 projections and then start to make the claims. If you want a good comparison, check your exact same trading days this year with the exact same days of 2008 and you should see exactly what i am talking about. Go ahead and assume last year was 100% RV accurate and compare. It should jump out at you with the days you have listed.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

The problem is futures in general as a market device. as its deceptive how much one can make.. example, 500 bux turning into 2000, looks like 400% return, cept one has to remember the virtually infinite margin of terror on the flip side should one analyse a session wrong, have a bad day, maybe get a phone call during a session,

I'm much more comfortable with options in futures and stocks.

Infinite upside, up front clear max loss potential known in advance.

Beyonder.

"Infinity is a moment away"

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Don't let the futures naysayers get you down. Futures are optimum.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Beyonder wrote:
The problem is futures in general as a market device. as its deceptive how much one can make.. example, 500 bux turning into 2000, looks like 400% return, cept one has to remember the virtually infinite margin of terror on the flip side should one analyse a session wrong, have a bad day, maybe get a phone call during a session.

We are not talking general here. "500 bux turning into 2000" does not have any meaning in S&P E-Mini Index futures trading that I can see. You need $6188 to get started, and apparently $25,000 for any reputable on-line service to even do day trading.

So a $1500 gain would be at best a 24% gain on $6188, but would best be described as a 6% gain on $25,000 equity committed to do one contract intra-day.

That's still 6% in a day. I'm still gobsmacked at how easy the process is. Of course, I've been trading for about five years now, so the mechanics of operating a chart are not new. I'm thinking now that anybody who is getting into trading at any interval ought to spend a week day-trading just for the practice of reading and responding to market action; it's a great exercise.

And I never trade without a stop. Never. Never. And I have never expanded a stop. Never, never.

Ahead of this exercise I would have agreed. And for the bulk of what used to be called "commodies" I probably still agree. Don't play next to a cliff. But the futures on the S&P 500 has the potential of only moving so much.

As for "analyzing a session wrong" I've got two failures in my list so far. I've posted the charts. I've even analyzed the expected results if I was wrong 100% of the time. I've reported my results. The downside is not so cliffsome.

Darling Wife has been toying with intra-day index options trading. She's a fan of a trading instructor of the name of Stacy Acevedo and has been working to put together a system that she can use. She is skeptical about the futures trading, so my suggestion to her was to apply this to day-trading the SPY, DIA and Q's deep-in-the-money index options. The analysis she's done so far indicates that there just isn't any comparison. Given the choice between futures and index options, go with futures. Superior returns for the same amount of work and comparable risks.

Let's take an example:

We can agree that Friday, 20 March, was a SHORT day, and went pretty much from open to close in one direction.

SPY at the close on Thursday was 78.94 and on Friday was 76.71, so Friday was down 2.8%. Let's make the rude assumption there's no "slippage" as you get in and out of the options, and leave volatility out of the for the time being. Let's look at at-the-money/in-the-money options three months out to wash out time value and get the close values for Thursday and Friday:

CALL JUN 78 6.45 5.55
PUT JUN 79 6.65 7.50

The PUT made 0.85, or about 13%. The CALL lost 0.9 or about 14%, while the SPY moved 2.23. Huh?

Let's go ten strikes into the money to further wash out time value:

CALL JUN 68 13.15 11.75
PUT JUN 89 13.00 14.10

That's PUT 1.40 10% and CALL -1.08 -8%. And so forth. The further out you get, the closer you get to the price movement on the day.

(And those are real numbers. ThinkOrSwim.com has a tool called ThinkBack that databases all option values at closing at least as far back as I've tried [two years])

Each contract assumes 100 shares, so your margin must be $7894 just to play, and it cost you about $600 or $1300 just to play. This single contract will return a gain of not more than but much less than $228 or a loss of not more than but much less than -$228.

Finally, let's talk about liquidity. The combined volume of SZCFZ and SZCRA on Friday was ~1000 contracts versus 2.7M contracts on the ESM09. If we come in a month to April, the combined volume of SZCEZ and SZCQA is about 10,000 contracts. Getting in and getting out is important!

I did four futures trades for $775. If I just take the negative trades for the 0930-1600 trading hours, the loss for the day would be about -$650.

To get those numbers with SPY index options, you would need trade at least 7 contracts about $70,000 with almost the same dollar reward/risk. Cost of margin! Return on equity!

Still, like Kocmo observed, let us get through the other 11 days of trading we have to get through and see if we can sustain this level of performance.

RV is my hedge, but just a hedge...

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:57 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

216 views.

Darling Wife and I have run our sessions and are declaring Monday, 23 March 2009, as SHORT!

Not altogether surprising that the market would continue the recent down-turn. The technicals show the move Monday to be something like Friday, with 745 as the target.

Good trading.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:54 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

redgator, I like the options comparison that you did above but you could avoid the margin requirements simply by buying calls on predicted up days and buying puts on predicted down days. Not sure how the comparison works out there though with that info.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:42 am
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Well, that was interesting... MISS!

LONG 43 vs -17 SHORT. -$425 papertrading (before I had to leave to an appointment, which was a good thing...)

Way wrong. Unambiguous. The session results weren't ambiguous either.

7:10 70% +$3738.50. Very dissappointed.

We won't be running sessions this even: to literally add injury to insult, we both managed to hurt ourselves this afternoon in unrelated incidents.

See you later.

Last edited by redgatortrv on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Don't feel bad, we missed twice today on some irrefutable sketches. Perhaps the matrix is having a bad hair day or couple of days because our sessions where run about the same time yours were for the Monday session....

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Dunno when we'll get back on The Adventure. My day job has gone positively toxic. I was just put in charge of the most important project the company is working on today. Which can only mean something is deperately wrong...

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:13 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Quick! :wink:

Last edited by kocmodpom on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Better.

Last edited by redgatortrv on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:03 am