It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm

How do we distinguish a 'Tangible' from an 'AOL' 
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Post How do we distinguish a 'Tangible' from an 'AOL'
The title really says it all.

I understand the definition of 'tangible' but I dont quite grasp when a tangible is, and is not, an AOL.

Thank you

(Sorry if this is something covered before - I did do a search for 'Tangible' but didnt find an answer)

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:31 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

For a descriptor to be listed in the T column, it must have substantiating descriptors already listed in other columns.

For example...

If your S column just has, "white," and your D column just has, "round," then it would not be correct to be writing, "clock," in the T column.

However, if your S, D, and I, columns are filled with clock-related descriptors (hard, smooth, ticking, flat, circular, round, moving, spinning, manmade, etc., etc.,), then, "clock," may be an appropriate Tangible.

When your session is finished, it is easy to ascertain whether you've correctly listed Tangibles. Simply apply the above-mentioned principles.

However, during a session, you aren't allowed to be thinking whether or not you have enough substantiating descriptors to list a particular Tangible. Therefore, you just have to know.

This, "knowing," comes through practice. You'll know whether, "clock," is a T, an AOL, or an AOL/S.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:49 am
Good question.... In addition to David’s good explanation.... I'll try.

Tangibles come from a non thinking impulse....a simple, one dimensional / one level /no moving parts impulse... Pen in the "T" column... "Bang" one word......

AOL's are always "formed" from multiple joined thoughts that hang around in your head and start to form an idea ex. (Liquid, cool, flowing, trickling = AOL water)

Alex

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:40 pm
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Re: How do we distinguish a 'Tangible' from an 'AOL'
Sorry, but the last two posts seem to have contradicted each other. David seems to be saying that T's must relate to other descriptors. Alex seems to be saying that they come about spontaneously and should not result from a collection of descriptors. I know that Maj. Dames warned against interpreting something blue and wet as water, which is what David seems to be suggesting that we do.

Can you clarify a bit?
Thanks

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:55 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

zorg wrote:
Sorry, but the last two posts seem to have contradicted each other. David seems to be saying that T's must relate to other descriptors. Alex seems to be saying that they come about spontaneously and should not result from a collection of descriptors. I know that Maj. Dames warned against interpreting something blue and wet as water, which is what David seems to be suggesting that we do.

Can you clarify a bit?
Thanks

Let me take a stab at it, just to see if I understand it correctly myself:

No, they're not contradicting each other, but complementing. Tangibles must have correlation to other descriptors and emerge spontaneously. The relevant bit to distinguish it from AOL is the source of the item in question, whether the matrix has given it to you or your own mind. The correlation rule is handy when you comb through your S4's after the session is finished.

>>

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 am
Advanced User
Advanced User

OK--so you're saying that high-level ideas are more likely AOL than T/I if they are not corroborated by other data, even if they are spontaneous?

I often spontaneously get high-level words in S4, for example "scandalous", "automatic", or "involved", which don't seem to relate to any other data. I put these in I or AOL, depending on how strong/clear the percept is. Is this right?

Thanks!

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Tangibles need to be justified by elemental S & D percepts. The way that you are dealings with intangibles is correct.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:53 am
Profile WWW