It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:02 pm

AOL/S Column 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post AOL/S Column
Hello!!

I have finished DVD 4 (WOW, what a ride!)...

Anyway, I am not sure I have found an explanation of the stage 4 column AOL/S anywhere in the set (maybe I have missed it).

Can anybody shed some light on the usage of that column?

Thanks!

Roberto

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

I will start DVD 4 next week !

Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:46 pm
Profile YIM
RV Professional
RV Professional

The AOL/S ('Analytical Overlay of the Signal line') column allows for the objectification of:

1. A percept that the viewer feels is not trash (AOL), but is not quite correct, either. Example: The concept of 'bordered land' (e.g., park, state forest, ranch, estate, etc.) arises into awareness, but the nature of the actual 'border' does not. In this case, after writing 'land' in the 'T' column and 'bordered' in the 'I' column, the viewer may choose a wildcard from her lexicon of 'borders' -- such as, 'fence' or 'wall,' and place the word in the AOL/S column. If she does not do this, and struggles in an attempt to solicit the exact word-idea (i.e., for the actual boundary) from unconscious, then imagination will quickly jump in to 'assist.'

2. If the viewer finds himself confronted with a percept/concept for which no word exists in his thesaurus, then the only course of action is to employ an analogy. As an example, let's say that the target is a tokamak -- something completely alien to the viewer -- a device that contains a plasma vortex in a magnetic field. Rather than simply becoming frustrated due to the lack of word-ideas, the viewer can (momentarily!) lean on the enemy -- imagination -- for assistance. In this case, an apropos AOL/S might be 'blender' which, for this particular viewer, is the closest analogy in memory to what he is perceiving.

As illustrated in the Companion Guide to Learn RV, AOL/S labels are included in the Site Template.

Stay out of this column until you know what you are doing; venture into AOL/S only after you have successfully demonstrated the ability to discriminate between 'truth' and 'trash.'

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Re: AOL/S Column
I'm glad I came to the board to find the answer to that question.

I wasn't quite sure how to use that column as well , so I've been ignoring it.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:31 am