It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 pm

AOL Sketch 
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post AOL Sketch
Just started to RV a few days ago, so I dont know when or how to use AOL sketch. I think after 2nd AOL one whips out a sheet and then writes S5.1 - AOL Sketch, and then sketches away.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:43 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Post Re: AOL Sketch
justin wrote:
Just started to RV a few days ago, so I dont know when or how to use AOL sketch. I think after 2nd AOL one whips out a sheet and then writes S5.1 - AOL Sketch, and then sketches away.

Welcome to the community.

IMHO, The AOL sketch is used as a last resort in an attempt to save the session; usually the third or fourth time the AOL comes up in session. I would not give it too much space to grow(a whole page) and entice the EGO to get involved. I normally keep the sketch small and in the margins of page. Then take a ten second pen drop break.

If you give the AOL sketch the entire page, you are thereby acknowledging that AOL's strength(in your attempt to dissipate it) and allowing it a full run of the embellishment/associative thinking cycle. At that point you've already lost because you are thinking, and thinking in session is a no-no. You just want the sketch to last no more than 5-8 seconds, and try to move through it quick enough as to "get 'er done"/Dissipate the visual aspect of the AOL.. fully; yet still stay in the right mindset to continue the session work. If that doesn't work, then the session is most likely lost. Stop there, and then go at it again several hours later.

It becomes easier with repetition. It's something that shouldn't happen too often

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

I must disagree - the purpose of an AOL sketch is to rid yourself of a particularly pesky persistent AOL. Therefore if you resort to this technique, you should spend as much time as necessary creating the sketch in as much detail as possible. In other words, get it all out.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:14 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Which is not difficult to do and only takes a few moments (usually around a minute), since there is not much stuff inherent in either the illusory persistent visual or its ideation. Regardless, it has got to be dumped completely.

Ingo had a technique of 'looking behind' the AOL visual to discern possibly target-related substance, but I'll save that discussion for another (Dooms)day.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile WWW